[Cialug] Apple and Intel

Dave J. Hala Jr. dave at 58ghz.net
Wed Jun 8 12:05:09 CDT 2005

I choose Linux because I felt it was easier for me to secure and because
the business just didn't couldn't come up with the cash for the
licensing fees/costs I'd have pay upfront if I developed on the MS
platform... I guess you say could say I choose it because it "free as in
beer".

Its been a few years now and now I pay my for beer (switched to RHEL)
However the despite all the FUD, the TCO is still less than that other
platform.

For me, the freedom comes from having "standards based" tools.

On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 11:07, Theron Conrey wrote:
> Would you use Linux if it wasn't free software?
> I savor my freedoms and would have to say no, I'd have to look
> elsewhere.  Without that activism, Linux wouldn't exist today.  Free
> software is what brought us to where we are today with Linux.  The
> kernel is free.  The tools that developers use are free.  Look at
> Linus's decision to use a nonfree product (BitKeeper) and the problems
> that arose from there.  Corp Greed is nessesary for a corp to survive.
> Companies have to make money.  The more development that moves out of
> the free environment the less that you or I could fix or adjust.
> Hobbyists / Developers cannot develop and improve what the can't see.
> Whatever your answer to the question above is your choice and I think
> it's fine.  However how many freedoms/rights would you be willing to
> lose for the sake of convienence?
>
> As for the flaming bag of XPoo.  I had it removed.
>
> Theron
>

> Nathan C. Smith wrote:
>
> >Dude, did you get bit by RMS?  You are starting to seem a bit freedom-rabid.
> >
> >Did somebody leave some flaming Windows on your porch?  ;-)

Open Source Information Systems (OSIS)
Dave J. Hala Jr. <dave at osis.us>
641.485.1606