[Cialug] Apple and Intel

Bryan Baker ka_klick at mac.com
Wed Jun 8 11:11:21 CDT 2005

While you're being that rabid about it, you might as well un-install
that nasty proprietary nVidia driver you know so much about getting
going on debian systems.
;-) I mean if it's proprietary it must be polluting that nice little
FSF cocoon you've woven yourself.

I've preached the four freedoms myself and while I agree the "movement"
is noble sometimes you just need to get stuff done. I find OSX and
Apple's current regime to be a comfortable middle ground that is
helping to introduce Open Source (and quite a bit of Free) software to
a wider audience than our basements - to people who just want to get
stuff done. If you don't believe that Apple is playing nice, I'd
suggest looking over this page, and the fairly extensive list of
projects that they've opened up to the community.
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/ Many of these were internal projects
that they had NO obligation to share - Darwin Streaming Server,
ZeroConf, etc.

Fanaticism: that's always the problem I end up having w/ the "pure" FSF
flag wavers is that they end up sounding like rabid street preachers
after a while, everybody just ignores them and goes on their way. I
respect that others want to remain "pure" but please stop waving the
GNU flag in my face. btw - I refuse to pre-pend GNU to every mention of
Linux.

Sorry if this is coming off a little touchy, but I'm getting tired of
getting preached at, believe it or not I'm already in the choir.

Bryan Baker
Technology Advocate
Iowa Legal Aid
Suite 230