[Cialug] Computer show?

David Champion dave at visionary.com
Mon Jun 6 13:10:28 CDT 2005

FYI... we *have* done successful Installfests in the pasts, so it's not
like we (collectively) have no idea how to do this. The most recent
event was a flop, mostly due to a lack of planning & promotion.

Some of the past events at the former Computer Learning Center, the one
at the Urbandale Library, and the one at the Nevln Center were all well
attended and we did a lot of installs.

The topics Theron mentions are all points that need to be addressed. I
don't know that we need to devote a lot of the LUG meeting time to this,
I would like to see a committee with one (or more) persons assigned to
each of these tasks.

One area I would like to see is a "Tweakfest" where we can have people
bring in their existing Linux system and have us help them with issues
they may be having, getting them updated and such. I think there are a
lot of casual Linux users out there who are past the stage of needing
help with installation, but aren't fully comfortable with some advanced
configuration.

For the alternate location, I would suggest the Nevlyn Center in Ankeny
- as I mentioned we've done events there in the past, and it's a great
facility.

I'd also like to see us re-implement the web sign-up form. It's a great
way to collect information from users on what kind of hardware they're
installing on, what distro they want, and gets them prepped by telling
them to defrag & have enough free disk space to install.

-dc