[Cialug] Installfest thought

Chris Hilton chris129 at cs.iastate.edu
Sat Jun 4 14:00:11 CDT 2005

Maybe it's best to present both sides.  Ignoring economic benefits seems
a bit well religious to me :).  Someone could talk about the Free side
of Free Software, and someone else could talk about the economic
benefits of Open development in Open Source (it's partially about choice
right ;)).

Just my $.02.  You will hear critics, I think, if you only present one
or the other.

It'd probably also be a good idea to cover some more technical aspects
(glazing over them with "lay" words) as well.  Things like open
standards verse proprietary standards.  Maybe this is getting too big?
But their seems to be a laundry list of arguments for Free Software and
Open standards and they go together.

And now I'm gonna suggest a short history, but I think that was
suggested in the original  suggestion.