[Cialug] Slightly OT: Stupid computer problems

Lee leeh at csi-rics.com
Fri Jun 3 16:45:05 CDT 2005

Bailey, Jonathan C wrote:

>The PSU is sized like a 1U.. The back-of-the-case fan keeps running, and the side fan on the PSU just stops.
>
>As far as temprature readings, where should I measure, and what kind of heat should I expect from a P4 2Ghz-ish CPU?
>

>Jon

This link gives you some idea of the operating temps for a P4. But if
the BIOS doesn't provide this info, it's tough to diagnose.
http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007999.htm
Some thoughts...
 Do you have any burn-in software? Test various components and see if
one of the tests causes the failure.
Can you boot to a command prompt and get it to shut down?
Does it reboot by opening and closing a powered CD drive door?
Disconnect the drives and let it set at a post screen, waiting for a
failure.
I did this type of tech work for years and often found a new causes for
old problems.