[Cialug] rpm issues

David Courard-Hauri david.courard-hauri at DRAKE.EDU
Thu Jun 2 12:53:26 CDT 2005

Quoting David Champion <dave at visionary.com>:

> That's a "source" rpm, hence the ".src.rpm". You want the binary one.
>
> -dc

Yes, of course. I didn't think about it because it was the only gcc rpm I saw on
the SUSE site, so I just grabbed it.

Since then I've looked around the site and found binaries for ppcs and other
machines, but not ix86s. I did find some fedora i386 rpms and a SUSE i586 rpm
on the rpmfind.net site, but that led to a couple questions. First, I can
install red hat rpms if I need to, can't I? Second, how do I check to make sure
that I have an i586? I tried with YAST and couldn't figure it out.

Incidentally, when David suggested earlier that I just install as "developer", I
couldn't figure out why I hadn't in the first place. I noticed during my net
searching that SUSE 9.1 didn't come with gcc bundled. doh! Shoulda stuck with
Red Hat, but I got confused by the whole Fedora thing.

Thanks for all of your help!

-- Dave