[Cialug] Re: new to this group, and Linux

Rocket Robin Hood jason at benalto.com
Thu Jun 2 03:41:10 CDT 2005

Hi there Mike!
I also recommend SuSE...I'm not as tech-happy as the rest of the group
(notice: I can't fix my clock)(so don't ask me to fix my clock!) and have
used Linux for about 4-5 years now, alternating between Mandrake and SuSE.
SuSE installs like a charm and seems to be better with funkier hardware..also
SuSE's apt4rpm is a lot easier to work than Mandrake's urpmi. You keep
stressing phone support - I dunno, all I ever needed was a computer that
could connect to the internet and the patient and helpful people on mailing
lists such as these, newsgroups, etc. I do recommend buying a box if you're
committed not for the support which is usually minimal and usually has some
wacky caveats (must only have 1 CD drive, I remember an  old one) but for all
the programs like Java which aren't on the download discs, saves you time
just installing it from the start rather than hunt around and then worrying
about getting it to work with your browser or whateve.

Red Hat/Fedora is good for a newbie too but their initial packages on the
discs (from a couple years ago) didn't have all the groovy multimedia stuff
which is my bread and butter on this computer.

Good luck! I apparently can't go to meetings until I fix my clock...

-jason