[Cialug] [Fwd: A Happy Alienware Customer]

Theron Conrey theron at conrey.org
Wed Jun 1 16:32:38 CDT 2005

Below is the extract of a message that I've just sent to alienware.
I've gotta say, it only took 45 min to get to talk to someone who said
that after recieving the notebook I could return the OS for a "refund"
That's right boys and girls I can return that OS just like thier EULA
states.

*sigh*

All that and I got a new Alienware notebook with a 400 rebate.....

Theron

To whom it may concern:
I'd like to say thank you to the customer service folks who helped me
order my sentia notebook today.  John was a great help and showed
continued professionalism in the face of, well, the unexpected.  I would
like to take the time to say that as customers go I'm pretty normal.  As
a savy computer user however, I take my freedoms very seriously.  I
cannot agree to use the Microsoft OS that Alienware provides, and John
took the time to explain Alienware's position of selling laptops without
the Microsoft OS.  He did however clarify a misconception that I had and
that by loading GNU/Linux or any other free OS you do not violate the
Alienware Warranty.  After much discussion I was very politely
transferred to his supervisor, Shawn who was extremely helpful in
figuring out this situation and how to move forward.  I appriciate
Shawn's help and look forward to recieving my Alienware laptop and
promptly returning the Microsoft OS  in favor of an OS that respects the
freedoms of it's users.
Alienware has two great employees manning the phones and helping us, the
customer, out.  I appriciate thier time and attension to detail that one
expects from a name like Alienware.
I hope in the future that Alienware takes the time to address the
growing concern of it's customers, and can provide systems preloaded
with a standard Alienware chosen linux distribution (such as dell and hp
do) as opposed to having us, the customer, return an OS right after
recieving such a great product.

Thank you,

Theron Conrey